Saturday, September 18, 2010

Southern Tier - Farmer's Tan

I found this to be a little bit of a disappointment.  Farmer's Tan is an Imperial Pale Lager offered by Southern Tier weighing in at 9% ABV.  Poured into a pilsner glass my first reaction was that the beer was a very crisp, dark, golden color. There was a nice, slightly off white, head that left a thick lace on the sides of the glass as I drank it.  The aroma presented was of mild hops with subtle malty undertones.  Overall I found it to be pretty unexciting.

The first taste of the beer wasn't bad, malty with a slight hop bitterness to the finish.  At first I thought the alcohol flavor was well balanced... then  the beer warmed up.  There is a reason the bottle suggests a serving temperature of 37 degrees F.  As the beer warmed I found the alcohol dominated the flavor of the beer and made it difficult to drink.  Other then that it had a medium body, carbonation, and despite being a little one dimensional flavor wise, was what I would consider an average craft beer.

I probably wouldn't buy this again but if you happen to enjoy Imperial style ales I would recommend you give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment